Location portrait photography vs studio portrait photography
Advantages of Location based vs Studio based photography
Advantages of location based portrait photography
- unique looks, but does demand one search out new locations or use them in different ways / angles
- easier for client or model to relax. An empty studio with few, if any, things to interact with can be a bit intimidating
- the light outdoor can give one a lot variation to the results, all depending on the time of day, season and weather
- the cost. If one does not have a studio freely available, then there is the advantage of don’t have to pay to rent a studio
- unexpected sets (can of course also be an disadvantage, if sets are not as expected)*
- Locations can add interesting structure or provide “natural” props*
Advantages of studio based portrait photography
- control of light is much easier in a studio and if one really know what look one wants, then studio is a very good choice as everything can be controlled
- weather is not a factor one needs to take into consideration
- privacy is not an issue if one works in a studio. Not everyone feel comfortable if a lot of people stare at them, so being indoors can help
- no need to drag all equipment with you. If you have a lot of lenses and props you want to use in a shoot or not quite sure what to use, it can be a bit difficult to leave something behind
- shorter way*
* = expanded based on feedback 🙂
I do spend quite a lot of time doing location scouting. What I normally look for is somewhere with a new, distinctive look, as secluded as possible, but not too far to walk. I do have a lot of equipment at times and the client or model also often bring with them a number of items, change of outfits, make-up, water etc.
Some examples of location portrait photography
Here is the place the example photos were taken. I’ve used this spot quite a lot last few years.
It’s not too far from where I live and it’s very close to the main road, but quite secluded in the summer time. Only negative with this place is that it is quite cold as it’s shaded by the mountains most of the day.